At first it sounds nice.
You are breaking your back. Jumping through rings of fire to help your client win. You have limited resources and yet you are still making stuff happen. Out of thin air? Nah… It’s your magic.
Yes, You are a unicorn… Without the unicorn tag.
So what happened next was a slew of demands, disrespect, and yes doubt… Because, if I charged $600 for a $12,000 service… Was I really an expert? See, I thought that by me being “affordable” I was serving my clients.
The truth is that the moment I vomited that $600 invoice I was failing them.
I had to come to terms with this.
I thought I did… When I priced the same service at $1000, $1500, $4000…
And still… The unreasonable demands occurred, the disrespect continued, and yes, the doubt.
So, I continued to hustle through sleepless nights, feeling like a bad mother to my newborn daughter, wondering when will my body finally break… And forcefully, but difficultly, sweeping those thoughts under a rug.
Until something broke.
“I am not telling any of my colleagues about you… Let’s focus on my business first. I will break your business with my referrals”.
I believed it. Maybe my system was broke. Except it wasn’t because clearly, there were other clients and a business coach, and colleagues of mine who believed in my expertise.
So… I kept storing those case studies deep inside my computer… for them to never see the light of day.
Another thing that happens when you don’t price what your worth….
It’s like a Domino effect: You undervalue yourself, then those clients accept your bargain (some never read the clearly stated proposal, and others even try to make you add onto the proposal due to them “suffering from depression”) then they cross every single boundary you NEVER created, because… You never truly believed, you were worth it. And rapidly you dive deep into this rabbit hole of a mess… You start believing you suck.
Maybe I am not cut for this…
Let me look for some gigs in LinkedIn…
I should probably update my resume…
There’s a huge empty space inside your gut… Like you are about to bungee jump Niagara Falls.
Then one day you take a flight to Boise for one of your favorite client’s high ticket event, as an expert… And I realized that I was focusing on two negatives instead of 10 positives.
Nope… I never even looked to the other 10 clients or so that were so happy with my work… They just let me do what I needed to do to help them win.
This post is not to bash those clients. I know that there is a part of my audience that are just starting out in business.
Most of you are inside my Facebook Community: Soul & Success.
This post is for you.
After months of struggling with being labeled as the Best Kept Secret... I want you to reject that label for yourself.
- You are worth your output. In fact, in true Capitalist Pig nature tell yourself “I AM EXPENSIVE, BABY!”
- You don’t deserve anything… Everything, you’ve worked fucking hard for… So yeah, you are going take it.
- Listen to your gut. If there is a deal you have to make with a client make sure it benefits both parties. You run a business. Not a charity.
- Hire a mentor.
- Invest in yourself.
- Share your wins and your client’s wins.
- LISTEN to your prospects, do not run your mouth… Don’t act like you are listening either… LISTEN. Take the cues, understand their pains, and SERVE them with all of your might.
- ROAR with pride when you talk about your services.
- Accept that you know more than your clients, at least in what you do 😉 and own it.
- Work hard but appreciate your time. Know that you don’t have much of it so you should allocate it wisely.